|Hengstenberg Sauerkraut (Drained)||400 g|
|All-Purpose Flour||200 g|
|Heavy Cream||200 ml|
|Dry White Wine||150 ml|
|Grated Cheese||100 g|
|Hela Juniper Berries||2|
|Salt (Divided)||1 tsp|
|Hela Bay Leaf||1|
|Hela Caraway Seeds||0.5 tsp|
|Hela Nutmeg Ground||0.5 tsp|
|Hela Pepper Black Ground||0.25 tsp|
- Mix flour and salt then transfer to a work surface, form into a mound. Create a cavity in the center and crack egg into cavity. Cut butter into chunks and distribute on top of flour, and then cut into dough using a dough scraper. Use hands to thoroughly incorporate ingredients into uniform dough. Press into a flat disc. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for approximate 30 minutes.
- Finely dice onion. Core apple and cut into thin slices. Cut bacon into small cubes.
- In a small saucepan, cook bacon over medium-high heat for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion and apples and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes then add sauerkraut, juniper berries, caraway seeds, bay leaf and white wine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for approximately 20 minutes. Remove juniper berries and bay leaf. Drain sauerkraut thoroughly and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Roll out the dough and gently press into a greased pie dish, poking with a fork on to the dough.
- In a large bowl, whisk together remainder of eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Evenly distribute sauerkraut mixture in pie dish, pour egg and cram mixture on top, and sprinkle with grated cheese. Place in preheated oven and bake at 180 °C for approximate 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm immediately. Enjoy with a dollop of crème fraiche on top, if desired.